FREE EBOOKS

siomai recipe

When I was in Manila for the first time in 1990, I tasted this food in my aunt's house with curiousity. "Masarap pala ito" i said to myself. I've never seen or tasted this kind of food before. Laking probinsya kasi ako from the northern part of the Philippines kaya we did not experienced to eat those kind of foods, We used to eat native foods like pinakbet and inabraw. And up to now still my favorite dishes. I will "die" if i cannot eat this foods in a week or two.

I want to share this recipe because when i got married in 1993 i found out that my wife's favorite food is SIOMAI! Maybe your favorite too. You may try to make it at home for your family too, as we occasionally do it.

So, here's the recipe:


Siomai

1 kg ground pork (suggested proportion of fat to lean meat is 1:3)
1/3 cup chopped water chestnuts or jicama (singkamas)
1/3 cup chopped carrots
2 medium or 1 large minced onion(s)
bunch of spring onions or leeks
1 egg
5 tablespoons sesame oil
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon salt
50 pcs. large or 100 pcs. small wanton or siomai wrapper
soy sauce, calamansi (lemon or kumquats), sesame oil and chilli paste (for the sauce)

  1. Mix all the ingredients for the filling in a bowl.
  2. Spoon 1 tablespoon of mixture into each wrapper. Fold and seal.
  3. Meanwhile, boil water and brush steamer with oil.
  4. When the water gets to a rolling boil, arrange the siomai in the steamer and let stand for 15-20 minutes, longer for larger pieces.
  5. Serve with soy sauce, calamansi and sesame oil. Chilli past is optional.

No comments:

puzzle

TRIANGLE